About Me

My photo
Ambassador of Christ, Committed to the Local Church, Husband, Father, Disciple Maker, Chaplain, Airman.
Views do not represent the USAF

Saturday, November 9, 2019

Listen Better – Part 5 of 7 – Take Notes

Part 1 - Introduction
Part 4 - Take Every Thought Captive

Part of being a good listener is understanding that much of what you are receiving will require recall in the future. Sometimes someone may yell, “Duck!” or “Watch Out!” and your instantaneous action (or inaction) will suffice to show whether you were listening. But most of our listening requires some sort of memory creation and recollection.

For this reason we must make every effort to remember what were are hearing so we can revisit and use the information we’ve received. We see this is multiple places in scripture, we see Mary treasuring up the events of Christ’s birth in her heart (Luke 2:19), we see the disciples remembering things that Christ had said and did after his resurrection (John 2:22), and Paul requests Timothy to bring his notes and scripture to him in prison (2 Timothy 4:13). There are myriad other places that this occurs, and also places where forgetfulness leads to disaster (Consider at minimum Genesis 40:23, Hosea 4:6, & Mark 8:14,17).

These notes can be taken mentally or physically. They can be simple or comprehensive. They can be a jot or a paragraph. I have in my Bible a line through the 10 at the beginning of John 10, that simple line reminds me that there is no time that passes between the end of John 9 and the beginning of John 10 and that they are meant to be understood together. Other times I have extensive notes, for example Jonah Chapter 1.5 is my consolidated notes on most (not quite everything) of what I know about the Book of Jonah that isn’t directly contained in the text. The amount of notes may vary and even the quality, but the important thing is something that reminds and helps you to recollect.

This article is not meant to teach you how to best recall, there are a nearly infinite number of resources available that will teach you how to best take notes, the important thing is that you are taking notes about what you’re reading and hearing from God. A couple of things I recommend in my “Simple Listening Handout” are to ask yourself, “How would I teach this?”, “What should I ask the pastor to clarify?” & “What should I further research?”

As I’ve grown older I’ve realized that what I put into my brain is not incorruptible or perpetual. Things I thought I would remember forever have faded into obscurity. I’ve learnt not to trust myself to simply remember a Bible verse, but that it’s good to have a Bible readily available when I think I can simply recall a verse. It reminded me of this verse from Psalm 73:26, “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

One final aside, some of the great men of history were known to either be men of one 
singular focus, or to keep extensive lists. May we do both! May our singular focus be the glory of Christ proclaimed, but may we also have a reminder of how we intend to do it! I have seen my productivity soar in keeping notes, lists, and utilizing the “task organizers” within Microsoft Outlook and Gmail. I no longer trust myself to “remember to do that later”, now I write it down, whether it is a clear command from God from scripture, a needed conversation, or simply an encouraging word. I was at a recent conference (Refuel 2019) and the notebook they handed out said it so well,
Inspiration Unrecorded Is Quickly Forgotten.
May we heed that warning in our lives!

Part 6 - Revisit the Sermon

No comments: