A couple of years ago I called my congressman to complain about a law that was harming small businesses. During the original intake, his staff heard my concerns and took notes. Soon after he called me and we had a fruitful fifteen-minute conversation. It was all business, there was no fluff, no pleasantries, no getting to know him or talking about anything other than the law that I needed changed and he had some power to change.
In the same way, if you had a matter of significant
importance, you could gain an audience with the President of the United
States. If you were privileged to sit in his office you would be welcomed so
long as you had information he needed to hear. If you started rambling or telling
stories or switched to vague
topics or if you just stopped talking, the meeting would be over as he has other things to do. Your government can be a great help to you, but there are significant disadvantages in their available time.
“It is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you” said Jesus (John 16:7). There are many reasons why it is advantageous to have the Helper, the Holy Spirit, rather than Jesus here with us, none more obvious than accessibility. The Spirit indwells each and every believer and is not pressed for time or attention.
Imagine for a moment if Jesus had not gone away and the Spirit had not come. You call Jesus’ secretary and ask for a meeting because he is the only man on earth who can help you. Not only
could he be thousands of miles away from you, but his calendar would be filled
up for centuries. He could be on a trip, he could be napping in a boat, he could
be in prison (as a visitor or a resident), he could be brokering peace between nations, or he could be dealing with any number of matters that appear more pressing than yours. His secretary apologizes profusely, but there is nothing they can do. Even though he is God in the flesh, he gets the same 86,400 seconds a day that you do, and they're booked up.
But the Spirit has no such limitations, and thank God that
Jesus sent him to us! Now we can believe him when he says, “Be still and know
that I am God” (Psalm 46:10). We don’t have to ensure our fifteen-minute block
is chock-full of information, we don’t have to stay on subject. We can approach
the throne of grace with boldness to receive grace and help in our time of need
(Hebrews 4:16). We can just sit on the floor of the throne room and be in awe of
our God working all things for good for those who love him and are called
according to his purpose.
This morning as I lay on the floor of the throne room of grace and begged God to hear my prayers through tears because I am poor and
needy (Psalm 86:1-3). After pouring out my petitions I spent time just considering how he is working in my
brothers and sisters in Nigeria, Madagascar, Nepal, churches in Georgia and
South Dakota, and churches and ministries just around the corner. He’s working
when I’m watching. He’s working when I'm not watching.
He didn’t mind that I was saying nothing while just watching him work. He invited me to be still and know that he is God and he honors that invitation. Jesus purchased that privilege for us when he died on the cross. He gave it to us when he sent the Holy Spirit. It is our great advantage, so let’s dwell in it.
The next time you're in the throne room of grace talking to the King, would you bring me up to him?
If you derive any benefit from my labours, aid me with your prayers to our heavenly Father. ~ John Calvin

No comments:
Post a Comment